Calls
For
Cthulhu

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Book of Legion

I'm obviously a big fan of horror, so I've read quite a lot of it. Recently, I've started looking for new writers, because their indy-film mentality tends to be a bit more invasive, visceral, and vicious.

Well, a few days ago, someone handed me a copy of "The Book of Legion" by Victor Heck.

I know my way around Biblical angels and demons, so the idea of the demon Legion didn't really surprise me. In fact, just thinking of the character, you can imagine a demon which is slowly amassing souls to the point where he can destroy all of creation. The story practically writes itself.

That's what I love about this book. The writer isn't going in that direction at all. I don't want to give too much away, but in this story, Legion is gathering minions and taking over Earth just as a stepping stone for bringing about an all-out assault on Hell. Just the idea that you could take that character, and use his innate power not as an end, but as a means to something larger, is pretty impressive to me.

Also, the writing itself is very good. Not exactly buckets-of-blood stuff, nor is it all psychological torture (although both elements are in there). The characterization is good, the story is powerful, and I like the pacing.

Anyway, I went looking for it online, and found it here: The Book of Legion. At fifteen bucks for a signed copy, it's well worth the money.

1:57 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home